How To Prepare For Pharmacy Technician Exam?
- Tony Dean
1. Start studying – Before you start studying anything, make sure you go over your textbooks and your notes from class. Sherri D. Ojikutu, Pharm.D., M.S., and a pharmacy teacher recommends that students who are still in school take advantage of the pharmacy technician capstone course.
- This course offers a comprehensive review of the material that will be covered on the test.
- There are also a great number of review books available to assist you in getting ready.
- Reviewing for the certification exam to become a pharmacy technician comes highly recommended by Ojikutu.
- As you go through the material, be sure to contact your teachers if you have any questions about anything that you’ve encountered.
Ojikutu suggests that if you are having trouble understanding something, getting a group of students together or finding a study partner may be able to assist clarify things up for you and reinforce your learning.
What are the questions on the Pharmacy Technician certification test?
The ExCPT exam is a standardized examination that consists of a total of ninety questions, all of which are multiple choice. The questions cover all of the areas of expertise that are required of a pharmacy technician, including pharmacy law, HIPAA rules, pharmacy arithmetic, and pharmacy administration.
- There are a variety of approaches that may be utilized in the process of studying for and getting ready to take the certification exam for pharmacy technicians.
- Using flash cards to study for the ExCPT test is one of the most effective and time-efficient ways to prepare.
- These are convenient to carry along with one and may be looked through anytime there is free time.
You may get flashcards for the pharmacy technician exam at bookstores as well as on the internet. Additionally, the students can create their very own. On one side of these flashcards, the brand name of a drug that is regularly used may be printed, and on the other side, the generic name can be printed.
- Learning sig codes with flash cards is another effective method.
- These are the kind of codes that are typically found on prescriptions and instructions given by doctors.
- You will not only be better prepared for the ExCPT if you use flashcards of this kind to commit this material to memory, but you will also find that using this information in your day-to-day work as a pharmacy technician can benefit you.
One further topic to look at is pharmaceutical math, sometimes known as dose calculations. Mathematical errors are responsible for the majority of mishaps that occur in pharmacies. It is critical for pharmacy technicians to have a solid grasp of the mathematical formulas behind pharmaceutical dosing.
Errors in medical care can have devastating effects on the patient. A significant portion of the mathematical work in pharmacy includes ratios and fractions. The secret is in the practice. Calculating percentages, adding and subtracting improper fractions, lowering ratios, and practicing addition and subtraction with improper fractions are all important skills for a pharmacy technician to perform.
PTCB Practice Test |Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam-2022(60 Questions with Explained Answers)
Mathematical exercises in the form of practice examinations may be found in abundance online for pharmacy technicians. Students who wish to do well on the ExCPT test can choose from among a variety of different study materials. The National Health Career Association provides a variety of learning resources, including printed textbooks, an online tutorial, and practice exams.
- The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board is yet another reliable source.
- There are a lot of different study guides out there, and a lot of them incorporate lab books.
- They walk you through genuine instances of questions and mathematical difficulties that you will see on the test as well as in the profession that you will be doing as a pharmacy technician.
As a means of getting yourself ready for the ExCPT exam, the student should go through a variety of different practice examinations first. Because the test costs more than one hundred dollars, you need to ensure that you are successful on the very first attempt.
The fee to take these practice examinations online is often about twenty dollars. They provide the learner with the opportunity to grow used to the structure of the questions. You are able to identify the subject matter areas in which you require the most improvement, allowing you to focus the majority of your academic efforts on these regions.
When going through the practice exam that has been graded, be sure to jot down any questions that you missed. Then, in order to better commit the answer to memory, you should produce a flash card with the question on it. If you take the practice exam, you will be better prepared for the actual test, which will make you feel more at ease and give you more confidence.
- When you are aware of what is about to happen, you will feel lot better.
- Taking a course that prepares you for exams like the ExPCT is the most effective approach to properly prepare for the test.
- Certificate programs may be found on the websites of a number of different online businesses, in addition to community institutions.
Completing one of these takes significantly less than a year, on average. There are other programs leading to diplomas available. The duration of these programs is typically one year. Either of these two paths will adequately train the student to succeed on the ExPCT exam and begin a career as a pharmacy technician at the entry level.
- If you are interested in furthering your career as a pharmacy technician, one option you may want to explore is enrolling in an associate’s degree program at a college or university that specializes in pharmacy technician education.
- This will take around 2 years to complete.
- Pharmacy technicians who have an associate’s degree earn a higher salary and have a better chance of being promoted to management positions.
Being well-prepared is essential if one want to succeed on the ExCPT test. Do not make the assumption that you are prepared just because you have previous experience working in a pharmacy as a technician. Before going in for the test, make sure you have completely prepared yourself by studying for it.