Continued Education is the fifth step. Even while becoming certified is a significant milestone on the path to becoming a pharmacy technician, it is in no way the end of your educational pursuits in this field. Maintaining a Current Knowledge of Emerging Medications Pharmacy technicians are responsible for staying current on any new pharmaceuticals that are released.
- It is crucial for graduates to keep understanding of developments in the sector, particularly with the continual introduction of new products and brands into the marketplace;
- Renewing Your Certification with the PCTB PTCB CPhTs are required to update their certifications on a biennial basis;
Because of this, pharmacy technicians are needed to participate in ongoing education, so that they may remain current on any changes that may occur within the business. Your failure to successfully renew your certification results in you losing your PCTB-certification, and you are required to immediately stop identifying yourself with this certificate. The Procedure Made More Straightforward The following is a rundown of the fundamental prerequisites that must be met in order to pursue a career as a pharmacy technician: The Steps involved in Becoming a Pharmacy Technician
- Successful completion of an educational program for pharmacy technicians, if mandated by your state
- If you are enrolled in a program, you will need to finish an internship that takes place on-site.
- Having obtained a passing score on the PTCB certification test (if required by your state or potential employer)
- submitting an application and being selected for a position as a pharmacy technician
- Participation in ongoing professional education throughout one’s career.
- Obtaining a fresh certification from the PCTB every two years, if necessary
If you are ready to get started on the path to becoming a fully trained pharmacy tech, the first thing you’ll need to do is select the pharmacy technology school that will serve you the best. An online Associate of Science in Health Sciences – Pharmacy Technician degree program is available to students at Ultimate Medical Academy. UMA will not only provide you with the information and skills necessary for entry-level employment in the industry, but it will also prepare you to take the PTCB certification test and provide you real-world experience through an on-site externship that is included in the program.
What education is required to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician?
Accreditation of Pharmacy Technician Training Programs Prior to enrolling in pharmacy technician training, prospective students are strongly recommended to check the accreditation status of the institution that will train them. Administrators evaluate the programs’ curriculum, methodologies, and outcomes as part of the accreditation process, which might serve as a proxy for the overall quality of the programs. The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board requires candidates to have completed an education program that is accredited by the Pharmacy Technician Accreditation Commission (PTAC).
- The PTAC is a joint effort between the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education;
- In order to be eligible for certification, candidates must have completed an education program that is accredited by the PTAC (ACPE);
The overall trend in the regulations that regulate pharmacy technologists is toward more monitoring, which is being accomplished primarily through professional certification and program accreditation. Before applying to and enrolling in the school of their choice, persons who are interested in this career are strongly encouraged to review the most recent laws that have been posed by state and national organizations that are involved in this sector.
The Managing Editor is Jocelyn Blore. Following her graduation from UC Berkeley, Jocelyn spent the next five years working as a freelance writer and English teacher while traveling the world. After living in Japan, Brazil, Nepal, and Argentina for a while, she decided to drive across the United States for 11 months before deciding to make Eugene, Oregon her permanent home.
When Jocelyn isn’t writing about college programs or conducting interviews with academics, she can be found at Blore’s Razor (Instagram handle: @bloresrazor), where she satirizes world politics and other absurdities. I am grateful that you have shown interest.
How much does a pharmacy technician make a year?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there were 422,300 people working as pharmacy technicians across the US in 2019, and they made an average yearly pay of $33,950. Pharmacy technicians typically need to have at least a high school graduation, despite the fact that the legislation governing this industry are continually being updated.
Where can I work as a pharmacy technician?
There are many available employment for pharmacy technicians in both neighborhood and chain pharmacies. These medical experts are also hired by healthcare facilities that offer inpatient and outpatient pharmacies in order to assist with the processing of prescription requests.